SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Island Sound to Chatham, MA
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
There are many ways to go. Are you planning a few stops to sight-see or do you just need to get there as fast as possible? In any case, +1 on checking currents: LIS, Block I Sound, Plum, The Race, all have lots of current to deal with. Going across from Block to Vineyard Sound or Buzzards, you have a rotary current which has to be planned for. THERE IS OFTEN FOG in the entire MV area. It can be pea soup and last for days. In fog be very careful. Block I Sound can get very nasty. Wait for a good forecast. I don't know what speed you can make but you can usually go from PJ Harbor all the way to Block on a good day or you can alternately anchor behind Fishers I which is a very nice spot. New Harbor at Block is a good place to be in any weather. Stay away from the holes between The Eliz. Islands and unless you have local help except for Quicks which is not bad. There is a great anchorage at Hadley Harbor but Woods Hole has strong current and unforgiving rocks. I've navigated these parts for years. If you have specific questions send me a pm.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-19-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook