Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Make sure that you tow from a strong part of your vessel. Rather than using the cleats, use the primary winches and a bridle. I would use the dock lines and anchor rode as they will be nylon and therefore stretchy.
- set a system of hand signals
- agree on a towing speed
- select a VHF channel for communication.
- minimize the number of people in the cockpit - if the towing line snaps it will be deadly.
- agree on the terms of the tow
- if being towed, be aware of salvage rights
- watch for chafe points
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Last edited by jackdale; 12-19-2011 at 01:52 PM.