SailNet Community - View Single Post - Towing A Boat
Thread: Towing A Boat
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
i would expect that vessel to have twice your displacement and far more drag....while you could tow it, I would not have offered to in your circumstances. It would be a very slow and difficult tow. This circumstance is s what SeaTow is for.

If you are not comfortable with a potential tow, don't take it on.

If you are going to tow a boat in a situation requiring manoeuvrings, such as into a marina, you need to switch to side-by-side, preferably them on your port beam. If possible, better to drop them at the end of the dock, or on an open mooring.
Problem is with my location Vessel Assit is available, but they need to trailer their boat which is at least 1 hr away then launch and get to the vessel that needs a tow. Could be several hours until they are actually tied up. I am signed up with Vessel Assit, but in many cases I will need a private tow to keep me from going into a reef, if I am unable to sail away or get a proper anchor set. I was not comfortable with towing this boat, but given no other option for the man, I would give it a try, rather than have him drift into the night towards a reef.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook