SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Tartan 4000, boat of the year for Cruising world Magazine, boat of the year for sailing world magazine...I guess that I have to make a post about it.

Let me tell you that among the production American boats Tartan are the ones that I like most. I like the old 4100 and its mix of classicism and modernity.

I cannot say that I like the 4000 very much. They have utilized a some years old hull, the one from c&c 121, a good hull that is not yet dated, a modern hull, a beamy hull that marks a sharp contrast with the traditional hull of the previous model....and then, instead of having a modern design for a modern hull they treated the overall outside design in a very classical way.

In my opinion it is not a match, I mean the modern wide hull and the retro classical line. I find the previous model much more elegant and comfortable in its lines: Traditional hull, classical line.

The cockpit looks good and functional but the transom seems anachronistic with a very small opening and without a bath platform. That could be justified in a classic boat with a classic hull, but on that large and modern stern that little gate seems out of proportion.

The interior is very nice in a traditional way but the layout only permits a two cabin version while on other boats of this size we can find a similar sized galley and three cabins. But the worse is the lack of outside views from the saloon. I really think that is going to be a very negative point in what concerns sales. If you target the small niche of classical boats, a classical hull without hull ports can make sense, but when the target is the main market it makes no sense at all.

Another strange thing is the carbon mast. I am all in favor for them in performance boats but notwithstanding Sailing world choice as this boat as performance sailboat of the year, this boat is not a performance sailboat and that mast looks out of place in a 40ft boat that displaces around 9T (and makes it unnecessarily more expensive).

The keel, more than the hull looks dated and it is in flagrant contradiction with the Carbon mast. It is too wide and has much weight on the support and not as much as it should have in the bulb if instead of an all lead keel it had a steel narrower and thinner support and a lead bulb.

Some good choices, some odd choices makes this boat an unbalanced one and is difficult to understand how it got so many prizes. I hope I am wrong and this boat can be a sales success. Ultimately it is the public that decides what is a good boat and a bad boat and I would hate to see Tartan disappear and this boat is very much the last opportunity to get it right for Tartan.

Last edited by PCP; 12-19-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook