SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many young people (say 35 or under)out there
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
I was given a Soverel 28 when I was 19 by my Grandfather. I had sailed with him on it since I was 8. When I was 20 I sailed it down to Belize and lived down there for a couple of years on it. Running illeagal charters with backpackers I met or what I ever I had to do to get by. I sailed back up to the key's and then on to South Beach Miami when I was 23 and lived aboard on the hook just south of the Venetian Causeway. I deliverd Taco's, worked in Bar's. Worked for Sailing Services as a rigger for a while. Then I sailed back to Key West and did the same thing there all through my 20's and 30's. Working as delivery captain, legal charter's, house painter. Sailng down to the caribbean when I managed to save some money. The engine broke on my first trip down and could never afford to fix it so I just sailed around with out it every where. Took it out completely about 15 years ago. One time I loaded my boat with 3 month's worth of food with food stamps. I'm a merchant marine on a tug boat now. 401 k, health insurance, a wife. Still have that boat though. Just finished restoring it. We own a house in Guanaja, Honduras, I plan to sail it back and forth each every 6 months. and live in Key West the other in a real apartment with a bath tub! I just turned 40 but still feel 30 something. All though hard at times, I would'nt trade my youth of bare bones, shoe string cruising for anything!
I keep the boat on the hook.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-20-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook