SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

boom brakes

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SimonV 
#1 ·
I know a lot of people use preventers (Sail safe anti jibe boom preventer or a purchase to an anchor point) etc. I am leaning towards boom brakes, looked at the Wichard gybe easy (or make my own with a figure 8 descender). I have researched the Dutchman and the Walder but am curious and trying to find out more about the Scott boomlock and the new Fleming Gybomatic. Anyone out there using one of the latter two, and does anyone have any videos of them in use while jibing?
Thanks,
Richard

#2 ·
As a former rescue climber I would recommend any system that you can 'precisely' adjust the amount of friction that controls the 'pay-out' of the control line ... and not have to depend on the variable friction under varying wet/load conditions --- usually needing a human brain. That would in my mind more favor the Scott or the Fleming.

Id avoid a "figure-8' for any 'large' area mainsail as 1. you will have difficulty in putting 'enough wraps' on the the '8". 2. if you do get an overwrap with 'multiple' wraps its going to be a major job to get it to 'release'. 3 'strength' vs. a full loaded large mainsail is probably going to be a 'minimum'. The 'figure-8' would be 'worse' for over-wraps; the rescue-8 has 'ears' to lessen the potential of 'overwraps': Rescue 8 : Rock Climbing Gear : Rockclimbing.com

Of course any of the friction type 'brakes' are infinitely better than a rigid 'preventer' which do not allow for any 'impact' from an out of control boom or for a boom that gets 'dipped' into the water.

FWIW - I use the Wichard 'ladder type' on a ~450 sq. ft. mainsail, but find that it needs constant adjustment to get the 'right amount' of 'slip'. The Wichard supplied 'rope' is VERY stiff (kernmantel?) and is quite hard to set up precise friction.

#7 ·
Hi Berwick
The last yacht (36' - St. Anna) had the traditional type boom brake and it worked great.

This yacht is 46' and the mainsail is about the limit for the wichard gybe easy.

I prefer the simplicity of adding or subtracting a loop and I have a 4:1 to add tension.

It works a treat and in light breeze, I sometimes have to push the boom across - thats OK, better than the unintensional gybe in heavy conditions.

I do believe you would be very happy with whatever system you choose.

#6 ·
I have a Wichard, the kind where you weave a loop of line through it 1 to 3 times.

I don't have enough experience with it yet, but it's worked in the light-ish winds I've been in.

Regards,
Brad

#8 ·
I vote for the Dutchman Boom brake I have one and its is fail safe. Should I get another boat it is one item I will make sure I get the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.