SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who makes Blue Water boat right from the start
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006

kimberlite is on a distinguished road
i would have turned around

If my boat was pristine and i had a crewmember as sick as that -i would have turned around. the leaking hatch, soaked below, broken steering .
this combination couldn't get much worse, and being so close to land i would heave turned around for that also.

my personal solution would have been to send the sick crew home by helicopter and sail the broken boat to the nearest harbor.

i believe that that boat could be taken on long passages if it were properly scrutinized. mant tartan 30's have made long voyages and my tartan 37 logged over 15k miles in 4 years.

There are of course real blue water boats such as my Amel which is an "A" rated e/c boat. 4 watertight bulkheads. dry below. we have sailed a number of times in 50+ knots and cooked a great dinner and never felt in distress or unable to take the boat off of autopilot. or even put on our foulies as we do not have to go out of the closed in hard dodger to make sail adjustments.

just a few comments off the top of my head.
Fair winds,
eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook