SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who makes Blue Water boat right from the start
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
As the owner of my second Cat 36 (divorce, long story) I must say that I absolutely LOVE my boat. It has cruised Mexico with the prior owner and I would take her there again, and of course, she's a great island hopping boat here in SoCal. However, much like a British sportscar which you should never drive outside the range of the towing company, I would NEVER take her across the Pacific. Could she make it? Of course. Have others done it? Sure. But being a boat maintenance and customizing nut, I have had the chance to take most of my boat apart at various times. The lack of backing plates, tank size, questionable tank mounting and extensive use of self-tapping screws among other areas would concern me if I was more than a few days offshore. I'm sure I could beef up the rigging, install backing plates, add tankage and some additional sail options which would help, but I still don't think that the overall robustness would be there. I would rather buy a Caliber 40LRC with 240 gals of fuel, watertight collision bulkheads, modified full keel, skeg-hung rudder, split rig, etc etc. The Cat 36 is about the best boat in it's class for what she is, IMO. But as nice as she is, I wouldn't run the Dakar rally in a Lexus, either.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook