SailNet Community - View Single Post - What size motor for a 20ft trailer sailer?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterNZ View Post
What size motor for a 20ft trailer sailor? Should be a simple question, but maybe not.. The national trailer yacht federation stipulates a minimum of 6 HP, but I'm wondering if I'm out there in the poo one day in 30 knots, whether 8 HP could be wiser?

But a light motor is good as it will get put on and taken off lots, and is easier for everyone to raise and lower on the adjustable transom, which the current 9.9 HP Suzuki isn't. Wondered about 4 strokes - heavier but cleaner, more efficient, quieter (vibration?) 6 HP 4's tend to be single cylinders and haven't heard wide praise for them. The propeller pitch is the other consideration - and simple suggestions?
I had a Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke on my trailer sailer and it was a great little motor. Sipped fuel, reliable starter, good power. I'm sorry I sold it, it was way better than the Suzuki 2.5 I have on my inflatable dinghy now.

I never noticed much problem with vibration. I tended to lock it dead ahead and steer with the tiller, so I was never holding onto it for long.

As we are likely to see more bodies of water closed to 2 strokes, I think getting a 4 stroke makes sense if you're not too sensitive to weight. 10 or 20 extra lbs isn't going to bother you as much as it would with an inflatable dinghy.

I bought the Tohatsu as, at 43 lbs, it was a good tradeoff, power vs. weight.