SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single-handed spinnaker
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I have read this post before and found it very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
It is important to be able to end for end jibe since it takes one extra person to dip-pole jibe.
Quote:
I also mark my sheets for the correct setting for the jibe.
Sounds like a good idea... I should do this at some point. Many times I have had to run back to the cockpit from the foredeck because there wasn't enough slack in the guy, for example.

Quote:
To raise, I typically raise the sail with the turtle on he leeward rail forward and under the jib, (old school racing style). I preset the guy so that the pole is off the headstay about a foot.
How is the jib trimmed when you do this? I have not had a problem with this method, but trimming the jib similar and launching from the cockpit I have noticed a lot of friction between the chute and the jib or its sheet, making it impossible to pull the chute out of the bag.

While I have found launching from a turtle on the bow or just forward of the mast much, much easier, I like the concept of launch from the cockpit since in principle it means I can relaunch again later without moving things around (assuming I'm on the same tack).

Quote:
Oh! And did I say that practice and prep is very important, but with both, you will find that tacking single-handed is harder than flying the chute.
Okay, this is hard to believe Surely jibing the chute is at least as difficult as tacking, and when tacking not much can go dangerously wrong.