SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who makes Blue Water boat right from the start
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Cat...I have owned and loved 2 Catalinas and the CATALINA 36 IS INHERENTLY A BAD CHOICE FOR A PACIFIC PASSAGE. I know how they are constructed and you can't "inspect" your way to safety...you have to design it into the boat. Poorly constructed (for blue water) boats need luck...well designed boats need good skippers.
My point was that I see little in PANDA's story as told on the "Equipped" site that directly relates to whether the Catalina 36 as a class is inherently unsuited to such a passage, a point re-iterated by yotphix in his post. I did not mean to imply that the Catalina 36 is a good blue water boat, just that you can't say it is not based on this particular story.

If it were me, like eric, I probably would have had the sick crewman airlifted off the boat and sailed the boat back with the remaining crew -- and I would have figured out some alternative way of securing the hatch and jury rigging the steering mechanism after they broke (I would have had tools and supplies on board to do so).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook