SailNet Community - View Single Post - Code D = Gennaker + Spinnaker
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Sounds good to me.

Tell me ... is there any reason an assy could not be used on a furler ? I'm pleading complete ignorance here but I'd love to get the damn thing permanently out on deck.

Jacobno
I see your point but sail stowage , particularly on a cruising boat is a pain. Anything to reduce the number of sails cluttering up below deck is good for me.
Yes it can but the sail has to be modified. The luff has to be much stronger.

This sail is precisely about that, about to have less sails. To sail fast in light winds against the wind you need a geenaker, to run you need a Spinaker or an asymetric spinnaker.

With this new kind of sails you can have the two in one and even have it on an easily deployable furler.

As Doyle says: The Utility Power Sail, UPS, gives cruising sailors the speed and power of a traditional spinnaker and the ability to sail at wind angles as close as 35 degrees.

Of course they are exaggerating a bit, it would not be as efficient as a Code 0 upwind neither as efficient as a spinnaker downwind, but the difference would not be much, in what regards a cruiser's perspective. In fact you will have a sail that can do both things relatively well.

I have sailed many years with a Code 0 and it is an incredible sail upwind till 120/130º tw but I could not run. This sail permits both things and will not collapse like a spinnaker when too near the wind.

I have heard people saying very good things about Code D (Delta voile) and if what they say on the Doyle site by its costumers deserve some credibility, it seems that it is also the case there.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-21-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook