SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop
View Single Post
post #51 of Old 12-21-2011
smurphny
Over Hill Sailing Club

SF, you are right on the money (pun intended). It is easy to sink 30k into an old boat. What you get is all new stuff you can depend on: electronics, rigging, etc. that you would have on a new boat (which would lose 30% of its value immediately). So, from my perspective, spending 40k on a good hull to renovate is a good deal if you get satisfaction from the process and go in knowing what you're getting into. If you own her for 10 years and sell for 20k, that's a depreciation of 2k/year, not a bad deal- no debt, no ridiculously expensive hull insurance, no fear that comes with a big investment. Buying a used boat that someone has already fixed up is a good idea as well but everything will be 10+ years old and much in need of renewal already. When I decide to sell my Alberg, the new owner will get a boat that has had the major work done and will get the labor cost essentially for free but that's ok, it's a hobby.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome