SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraiths View Post
K, a mini (or maybe not so mini) update.

I do have my macbook, iPad, & iPhone in tow... along with my mobile wifi

Quote:
I don't really want to bring anything outside of *pure necessities* onboard.

What some people consider "Pure necessities"

Well, you are not out cruising yet.

We agree that a notebook computer is a necessity in the modern world. Also a cell phone. We actually have two laptops now - one for backup - because it's cheaper, lighter and takes up less space than paper charts for everywhere we might end up (But we still carry paper charts for coastal areas we intend to visit). Our cell phones are $15 Trac Phones - no monthly bills and cheap to replace when they fail from the inevitable wetting or corrosion from salt spray on the boat.

Having said all that, we recognize that it is a matter of personal preference and lifestyle. After spending a few months in SF Bay, we can see how those baubles might be considered pure necessities. For us they are just expensive toys. As they say "What ever floats your boat"

As for the live aboard thing: After 22 years of living aboard in many different marinas and harbors, including San Francisco Bay, we have found that there is always a way.

A positive attitude and cheerful demeanor are the keys to success in almost everything, we find.

The Crew
SV Lealea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook