SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2012 Beneteau Oceanis 41 and 2011 Catalina 445
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC1 View Post
Hello there.

We've previously owned both Catalina and Beneteau boats. And it looks like we're going to own one of them again. Having been boatless for 3 years, we're eager to get back!

We're looking at either ordering a '12 Oceanis 41 or picking up a left over '11 Catalina 445. There is precious little about the 445 sailing characteristics online and nothing about the 41.

It will be she and me and the dogs most of the time. Daughter and hubbie from time to time. Realistically, 22 weekends a year with a couple of weeks cruising per annum too. If we're on the boat, we're sailing.

Comparably equipped the Catalina is about $35K more. To get it that close the Catalina is much more heavily discounted (one year old, never been wet). We plan on keeping the boat 10 - 12 years.

She's gaga about the 41 cockpit (it is most excellent) but to me the Catalina seems more solidly built.

We don't race. With her on board, we don't bury the rail.

Stupid it may be, but we like buying new.

Anybody have opinions about either boat?

The boat's home will be on the Chesapeake. Never sailed there. Can't wait.

Thanks,

BCC
I would never consider buying a sailboat new. If you were willing to buy ten years old, you could get a MUCH better built boat for comparable money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook