SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI via Culebra, PR - January 6/7/8

15K views 84 replies 18 participants last post by  blanc 
#1 · (Edited)
Crew wanted to join for January 6 (weather permitting) departure from Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI and Culebra, PR on C&C 37R.

Can stay on boat until January 25, will sail back to Culebra around 24th.

Must be able to keep watch and helm. Cooking a plus. Share food and drink cost.

Fast, but spartan boat. Sat phone on deck. Please have some experience in ocean sailing.

Email at bartoszbilinski/at/gmail/dot/com

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
While you apparently lack ability to read, I certainly appreciate your comments.
Since we already know that you are not fit on this deck, keep spending your time by computer screen and polish your superb seamanship skills by trolling on forums.

Merry Christmas sawingknots.

#9 ·
I sailed (both raced and cruised) a C&C37+ for 10 years and did a few off-shore races. I would not consider that boat a serious off-shore boat. By sparten do you mean no radar, no lfe raft, no weather routing, no dodger? What is the skipper's experience on the boat on far off-shore sailing? You do know that you will probably experience strong fronts aabout every 3-5 days that time of year. At this moment here in Sint maarten we are experiencing the Christmas winds over 30kts with 15 ft seas. That C&C will pound hard enough to loosen your dental fillings.

#12 ·
I start liking it, first it the sewingknot, who most like got to the end of his booze and trolls before falling into deep sleep, second comes the no-power-EPRIB-heli-rescue-kid who likes sewing (and sewing likes him back), and then the expert.

Yes special delivery, I agree, she is not Tayana 37 or other full keels I sailed Atlantic and Baltic on, but she can manage without radar and without routing. There is Navtex and plotter and spare and another spare. There is no dodger but a small bimini. There is no locking cabin, if you have sailed for more than 10 years on the R, you should know that and that there is no leather either.

However, there is ability and there are skills here, and while she will not point 35 degrees in 35 knots, she will get me where I want.

Please - those WHO ARE WILLING TO CREW respond to this post.

I am willing to sail and not waste time responding to trolls or "seawolves".

#17 ·
This seems to have gone south, and not in the good way. I'm not available for crew, but I wish you well. It does help if you list your experience and the boat's equipment. I found good crew on this site, but I had three months lead time to interview them. There are other sailing and cruising forums too, one on yahoo, and cruisers. net (I think). This is a good forum, though sometimes contrary. Good luck. -John

#19 · (Edited)
Thank you for your post WanderingStar, so far this is the only one here that gets to the point and makes sense.

I am surprised that this forum allows someone like that cohort of those two "able seamen", of which one seems to be permanently drunk, and other permanently scared (he wants to set off EPIRB when power is gone and he removed his post with my name, profession and the name of my boat he found on internet) to post.

I will gladly share equipment with those who are interested in this passage. As I stated, she is not a heavy cruiser with full enclosed cockpit and two autopilots. But, I am not offering this trip to and asking for participation of those who expect more than plain sailing.

Thanks for your post.

#20 · (Edited)
Is the crew permitted to exercise their 2nd A. rights by carrying a concealed handgun onboard, purely for self-defense purposes, if they are properly licensed?

Would using a sea buoy for target practice with said handgun be grounds for explusion?

What is your policy on an attempted mutiny? Could the mutineers continue to serve as crew if the mutiny proves to be unsuccessful?

Will you accept a crew member with a prescription for medical marijuana? Once the boat is in international water, would you be opposed to the crew sharing prescription medicines while seated on the windward rail?

Will the crew's bags be searched before boarding?

#21 ·
I really don't know any of the people posting here. But just reviewing the jist and tenor of these posts you guys didn't hesitate to jumped all over blanc, and I'm not sure why. I've hitched a couple of rides as a result of posts on this forum and am thankful for it. Maybe you have issues with his post, but attacking him serves no purpose and may perhaps discourage others from looking for crew here.

#27 ·
Slayer, they have issues with themselves. Apparently they know a lot about sailing, more than me or anyone else. Not only that, they are psychologists. They are simply superior, especially as a duo.

One thing they do not have and do not do: respond to the need stated in post, or stay quiet knowing that they cannot.

Simply because they want to show off they waste time, effort and opportunity for others.

It is sad.

#22 ·
Point well taken, however...

blanc is a NY lawyer and a 1st A. scholar - he is a big boy and can take care of himself. I am certain he supports freedom of expression on an internet forum.

He has not hesitated to dish it out as well as he has taken it (although he could have answered some of the early posts with a sense of humor instead of personal attacks).

We are all just having a bit of fun at each other's expense. It is hard to take it seriously on a forum - it could not possibly be personal.

There are plenty of polite discussions about crew wanted, when the parties are so inclined. In this case, everyone decided to attack - that's freedom of expression at work, no matter how messy it appears.

Plus, potential crew have been given the opportunity to know blanc's personality better; I think that is an important part of being on a vessel with someone on an offshore voyage, especially the captain's. The crew's lives may be depending on his judgment and decision-making ability.

#23 ·
I certainly can take care of my boat and I do support freedom of expression, but didn't you and the drunk depart from the purpose of this forum ?

Why would you consider yourself a party james ? Do you have some "offshore experience", can you "keep watch and helm" etc. ? Finally, do you have enough time in your life to get out offshore ? Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think you are any party here, neither is the drunk.

While you may have too much time at your office, time for taking part in this forum for example, I would rather respond to emails from interested "parties" than deal with your already boring posts ("scholar" being on the top of the list) :)

#24 · (Edited)
My post was intended to be a joke, based on several threads here where crew members set off the EPIRB, supposedly against the captain's wishes. You could have shown your sense of humor by treating it as a joke, along with sawingknot's joke about the uniforms.

You are malicious in calling sawingknots a drunk when you really do not know anything about him. You are also malicious by questioning someone else's literacy. You are also malicious and a homophobe by implying that I lack masculinity by claiming that I sew.

I do not take any of this thread seriously, but you have demonstrated your personality and your psychological makeup by your responses.

Obviously, you have had many advantages in life, and you are neither humble nor grateful for those advantages. You also appear to be wasting your life enjoying yourself, without much concern for others.

Finally, you are hardly one to question my use of my free time, or breaks I take from my practice. It appears you have plenty of time to sail to P.R? Are you gainfully employed, sir, or living off family money from Poland?

#25 ·
As a lawyer, even provincial, you should be able to read much better than your buddy called the drunk, with malice of course. Obviously, you should also understand text being read. I believe you do not.

This list and post is for crew and sailors and not frustrated people like you or the drunk willing to "joke" or bash others.

As I read your post, I understand that you write about yourself and perhaps you live off Vietcong or Khmers' monies ?

#28 ·
this post raised flags big time,no doubt some young reckless adventure seeking fellow will be sucked in by this golden opportunity,scrape or borrow enough money to go to n.c. buy provisions and probably end up stranded far from home,a legitimate crew seeker that wanted a experinced [deckhand]would certainly offer some assurence of his competency as skipper and also insure the safe return,not to mention atleast furnishing basic provisions,you call me a drunk?that in itsself gives me a good insight regarding your judgement and charactor,i hope i've atleast given pause to anyone remotely considering this offer,your just p.o.ed that someone saw thru your golden opportunity

#31 · (Edited)
Is this another post about yourself sawingknots ?

I am more than willing, if you are able to give me your lat and long, to send you not only a bottle of cheapest wine I can find, but also a soap and a simple guide, step by step, of how to spell check.

You must be an asset to any sailing boat in the world. I bet there is someone, somewhere who is in need of you and will make his boat your home.

If you were looking to get fed and drunk on my boat, no, I do not like the way you look, and if you wished to get a hot shower, no, she does not offer that much comfort.

#48 ·
Blanc, I think what Sawingknots is saying, although rather harshly, is - an experienced crew that you wish for and need (your life may depend on them) are usually paid in some way. In return for their service, what are you offering an experienced crew? A long, wet, cold ride? That ain't going to get it. I have done that trip in the past and this time of year you will go thru at least one blow if not a storm.

#49 ·
I bet you are right, I will hit some easterly 30ies, but the redneck not only seems to be rude and dumb, he simply does not read the post. If anyone feels he/she would fit in this ride, such person should answer the call.

The drunk for sure is not fit, so why would he answer ? He wants to be fed, sleep, drink, get paid, get tickets, get "incidentials" monies. Maybe I should buy him HPX suit so he is not cold ?

I do not offer that and it is clearly stated here. He apparently made it his habit to troll here, because he has plenty of time - nobody wants to give him any ride.

Maybe he discouraged somebody to join this trip, but for sure he discouraged everyone to take him on deck on any other.

I would never let twerp like that set foot on my deck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.