SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
I have had wonderful results bringing back a mirror like shine to my old weathered wench handles, and the block holders that run along a track that the jib blocks attach to. I started with a 100 grit sand paper and a sander, then progressed to a very light sand paper almost the grit of wet-dry paper then to 0000 steel wool using my sander on top, then used some polishing compound and my buffing tool which used very small cotton fiber buffers. then some brasso, followed by a clear coat so that I do not have to do this again any time soon. I also was successful making a new centerboard winch handle out of a 1/2 inch steel rod, with no equipment I placed the rod into a metal pipe then pulled it by hand to bend the rod, then I had to use a maul hammer and locate two heavy pieces of concrete wth just enough space to hold the rod while I beat my rough bends in the rod into two 90 degree curves. I then polished the rod using progressively finer abrasives as I did above down to steel wool, and finally some polishing compound. I cut off the tip of an old shovel handle then drilled a 1/2 inch hole down the center, I had to ream the end next to the bend out a little and finished by placing a washer on the tip then using a hammer to brad the end of the rod so that it flaired out and held the wood handle in to the rod. I plan to use a flat bastard file to file the opposite end of the rod to fit a wrachet that fits into my centerboard wench and will use a fine drill so that I can use a pin to hold the wratchet to the other end of the wench. I do not know of a supplier of wench handles to fit my centerboard winch so I have made my own for about $10. and alot of work - the wench looks pretty good considering I did not have the proper equipment. I am surprised and thrilled at the outcome. The rod I purchased at Lowes where they have short pieces of steel stock in hardware. My new Tiller with an 8" rise laminated from ash and mahogany originally made for a Pierson, read somewhere that it is a very close match for the Morgan 24 tiller - found it on Defender.com for $79!! a great price as some places want as much as $150!!!. Besides I didn't want to use an Ax Handle again - I want my Morgan to be very close to the original but aged gracefully.

Last edited by gpwil3847; 12-21-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook