SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many young people (say 35 or under)out there
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011

EricMaz is on a distinguished road
We started cruising at ages 33 and 38 on a Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31. I bought my first boat at 25 (a catalina 22). We've been cruising full time for 7 years from Alaska down to South America.

Most of the people our age or younger have only cruised for 1 or 2 years and returned back to work or start a family. I wish there were more diversity in age of the sailors out here, but we enjoy the adventure anyway.

Along the way we have written cruising guides for Central America, one for the Pacific Coast of Colombia and guides from other sailors.

We spent 10 years planning for our cruising adventure and saved every penny possible, never bought a new car, bought and sold a fixer house, and saved saved saved while our friends bought bigger houses, new cars and ate out a lot. It was at times depressing and difficult, but it has been worth it. It is definitely a struggle at times and you might be the only one in your age generation around, but it's part of the adventure.

Best of luck!!
Eric & Sherrell
Sarana at Sea - Stories Photos and More
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook