SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2011 Volvo Ocean Race
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I have to say, I'm learning a hell of a lot with this race - especially from GPMA pulled off. I've only done 2 ocean races as crew thus far (and plan to do many more) and we have really done a poor job of weather planning. Granted they were relatively short races, but I'm excited to learn more about how to be more effective at finding wind, rather than sticking to the rhumb line and hoping - or making wild guesses on in-shore or off-shore possibilities.
Two more races than me, except if we count a real amateur one with about 40 boats, but on that one I got 2th, behind a First 44.7 (no ratings).

I have learned a lot following French Transats. On those you don't have 6 boats but ten times more and many great skippers.

It is needed balls to do what Groupama is doing. He is losing all the advantage going with a worse angle and slower than the others on the assumption that in about 15 hours it will be in a much better position and he will go faster.

They could just have maintain the lead and cover the moves of the adversaries but I guess that would not have enough flair They don't only want to win they want to win with style
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook