SailNet Community - View Single Post - Doing my passage planning
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Doing my passage planning

I have started doing my passage planning for when I leave Brisbane in April(ish). This is really quite fun as you sit down with various resources (the internet being so amazingly useful for this). I am planning for the time period from April, 2012 to August, 2013 and for a good chunk of the earth from eastern Oz to eastern North America.

I have a couple of dates that I am working around. Likely doing the rally from Darwin to Bali. Rally starts July 28 and gets to Bali on Sept 23. Would like to go to Carnival in Salvador, Brazil which starts on Feb 7/13 and lasts for about 5 days. Apparently it is the second best one in Brazil after Rio. There are more generall needs as well, get around the coast of South Africa in mid-summer but not too late so some time in November which means that I have 6 to 8 weeks from Bali to Durban. Also want to get to Bermuda no later than mid-June to avoid hurricane issues. Want to spend some time in Grenada because we enjoyed it so much last time.

Some questions to sort out:
1. Do we go around the north end or south end of Madagascar?
2. Do we try to go into the Amazon River?
3. Do we aim towards NYC and live onboard as we did before? Maybe my wife can get her job back there (she got laid off as result of the financial crisis which sent us on our way sooner than we thought)?
4. If we carry on do we return to Canada via the Erie Canal (this mast is a pig compared to the ones I have handled this way before - don't even know if the mast crane in Oswego is big enough)? If we go up the St Lawrence route how many weeks can we get in Newfoundland? Cruised there a number of years ago and it is incredible. With the exception of the weather it might be better than anything so far.

Anyway, it is all getting me quite excited just thinking about it. For those who are thinking about this sort of the thing, be aware that this is the first order of thinking. Later comes the detailed stuff - what charts, guides do we need, what is the visa situation, etc.