SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water Cruiser
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2001

audbydez is on a distinguished road
Blue Water Cruiser

John

this is a bit off from the sloops you''ve been looking at, but friends of mine have just spent 59 days sailng this summer on their 1986 Freedom Cat Ketch. They went from Oyster Bay, NY to Block Island; Nantucket; Martha''s Vineyard etc...

I met them in Block Island for the Freedom Rendezvous and got to race on a Freedom Cat Schooner. We took first in our division. Both the Ketch and Schooner have Pearson designed hulls and are very fast, easy to sail and very manageable in heavy air.

I recently had an opportunity to sail the Cat Ketch in 20+ knot winds on the north shore of LI and was absolutely amazed at how well balanced the boat is. We had both the mizzen and main up with single reefs and we flew. When the puffs came, we just heeled another 2 degrees and kept sailing straight ahead. Their was rarely a tendency to round up.

They are selling the boat for $83,000 (Buc and Nada show values of $89k to $92K). This boat is in truly Bristol condition, inside outside and underwater. I would definitley classify this boat as blue water capable.

If you''re interested, contact me at CaptainRonBVI@aol.com and I''ll get you more information.

Captain Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook