SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterGod_1 View Post
Giulietta - Pardon my being a newbie to sailing, but with your experience, do you think a real bluewater boat would be my best choice for a new boat?
Boats that are designed and built to serve a specific purpose, such as racing or bluewater sailing, are configured so that they serve that particular purpose well, but they wouldn't necessarily serve a newbie well. A bluewater boat is designed to sail in a straight line for many hours or even days, and to sail in strong trade winds. Sometimes they can be difficult to tack, and they can be very frustrating to sail in moderate to light air. A racing boat, by comparison, can be tender, have complex sail shaping mechanisms, and be difficult to sail in stronger winds and choppier seas.

I would recommend a coastal cruiser for a first boat, because it is likely to be more stable than a racer, while being a more lively and responsive performer than a bluewater boat. It's more versatile, and a good compromise. A general purpose boat will be easier to learn on and will be more enjoyable for you. After your skills have developed, you'll be better able to deal with the challenges of a more purpose-built boat.

That is not to say, of course, that you can't learn on a bluewater or racing boat. A general purpose boat will just be easier.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 12-24-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook