SailNet Community - View Single Post - Zero Tolerance has left San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
ZT Adventures

It's worse than initially reported... Zero Tolerance has left the State of California. In fact, rumor is Zero Tolerance has even left the country.

We got caught in Santa Ana winds leaving Two-Harbors and keel-planted into a patch of kelp. In 2500' of water, 6' seas, and 15+knots of wind I put on a 3mil wetsuit, mask, and fins; and went below to clear the prop.

Two days ago, we got caught again in Santa Ana winds 20+miles from Ensenada. It was one very scarry night. We even radioed to try to find out if there was a port closer than Ensenada. Nobody answered except for the US Coast Guard. We also had a powerboat tailing us at the time (don't know intents). Anyway, seas were 12'+ breaking waves very close together, winds 35+knots. Boat was rocking so violently the engine began to suck air although we had more than 3/8 of a tank.

I have to say the US Coast Guard did an excellent job on the radio. They requested we contact them every 30-minutes, which we did. It was indeed comforting to know that they were there and would have sent out Search & Rescue had we needed them. The reason we radioed was because we thought there might be a port closer than Ensenada which was not showing on charts nor GPS and not because we thought we'd need rescueing. However, I'm very glad they tracked our progress.

I've been sending out e-mails of Zero Tolerance's adventures when I can. If you'd like to be included, e-mail me at "marshall@ketralnis.com."

Fair winds & Following seas,

S/V Zero Tolerance
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook