SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charging two batteries on one charger
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Drivel and quite unnecessary.

Charge the batteries up, disconnect them and store them in a cool place. Do what Maine Sail suggests.

You could also thumb around the Ample Power Primer, download from the tech tab at Ample Power Company Home Page
Unfortunately for those in hotter/warmer climates the use of a float charger can be necessary, but, I'd still prefer a timer connected to it so they would see absorption ever two or three weeks or so..

Unfortunately many "float currents" do not always prevent electrolyte stratification and with these chargers/maintainers, despite being "floated", the batteries. if wets, can still develop stratification. This is why in colder climates I much prefer to hit them a few times over the winter with a good absorption charge to get the electrolyte moving.

I have a customers battery on the bench right now, that I just finished equalizing, checking cell balance and charging to full. It is sitting at 13.5 volts and is seeing just 0.025A +/- to maintain the 13.5V. 0.025A does not and will not always prevent electrolyte stratification. A better quality marine charger will have a program that reverts back to absorption voltages every now and then to get the electrolyte moving.

I have a very nice charger, the boat is in our yard, and I still will not leave it on constantly. I them it yesterday for about 6 hours for the first time in about three to four weeks.

Some folks are comfortable with float chargers. I've seen too many failures, of all types of chargers, to trust them implicitly when I am not there.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook