SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011

daviid is on a distinguished road
Hi Paulo and Faster

Thanks for all the info - much obliged. As a cruiser, my DNA is built around LIM - less is more - single headsail programs for a short handed sailing would not be my choice even if they give a better result in terms of sale trim and performance.

What peaked my interest was the following SA/D info pertaining to the Oceanis 37:

* SA/D - adjusted to 100% for the fore triangle so that the genoa size which can vary from 1 manufacturer to the next, does not give a distorted result - 19.4 (Jeanneau 36i Performance - 18.9);
* SA/D - as per actual size of fitted genoa which in this case is 105% - 19.8
* SA/D on a Jeanneau 36i Performance which is comparable in many ways as per actual size of fitted genoa (135% genoa) - 22.0

Despite the difference in SA/D with fitted genoa, the polar for the Oceanis 37 is still better (slightly) than the J36iP - so if one could eek out a liitle more sail area in the genoa ....

I am not familiar with a code D but from this discussion it seems that it is a sail which can be mounted on a furler which has an effective range from a close reach (60 degrees) to running? How does it differ from a code zero? My LIM sail wardrobe would be mainsail (a given), a headsail which is able to go from zero to hero as in flying a handkerchief in strong wind up to 140% for light winds and an assymetrical which can be mounted on a furling system or snuffer for easy deployment short handed. Would the code D replace the assymetrical? Can one get away without a staysail or storm jib which would need to be mounted on another forestay and which would require one to leave the cockpit in treacherous conditions?

All the best to all over the festive season- onwards and upwards

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook