SailNet Community - View Single Post - Retiring Aboard
Thread: Retiring Aboard
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deow View Post
I was thinking of a 30' to 35' older boat. I've looked online and there are tons of them out there for less than $50K. I want functional over fancy. For example, I'd be happy with mostly just a head, galley, and hammock inside.
For $50K and 30-ish feet you should do fine... maybe even more than a hammock! esp if you have time to research and shop but be ready to 'pull the trigger' on the 'right' deal...

Quote:
A 3-month Introductory Membership is around $750. The courses aren't all that expensive.
I don't believe that options exists here. Interesting. I'm a similar age to yourself and to join RVYC would likely cost $30K plus - and we'd still be on a moorage waitlist.

Quote:
I'd leave this area when the time came. I was thinking of spending my time between Montreal and the Maritimes to begin with, and heading to the Caribbean and further afield, eventually.
Living on the hook does avoid moorage issues, but seasonally on the east coast you're still looking at winter haulouts.. regular marina visits would chew into the day to day budgeting pretty quick.

The plan to cruise south narrows the field of acceptable boats.. and raises the ante on seaworthiness and good equipment for the slog down the coast...

Keep us posted!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook