SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
With such a sailplan, I think there is no need any more for large, overlapping genoa. They give you a very hard job when tacking and are much less efficient on a modern, fractioned rig.
Any foresail gets more baggy with every turn on the furling drum, which is exactly what you do not want when the wind builds up. The bigger the sail, the baggier it gets, with less pointing and more heel as a result. The more you furl, the higher the sail comes with even more heel.
So there is no way to make a from zero to hero genoa. If you want the sail to fly in light winds, you need light sailcloth. It will not resist furling and certainly not in strong winds.

With a powerful mainsail and a non overlapping jib reefing the main is the first move, even the second. Afterwards I prefer not to furl the jib but just get rid of it by rolling it away at once and rig a staysail.
This means working on the foredeck, but if bad weather can be foreseen -which is mostly the case- most of the work can be done beforehand and the sail will only need to be released from its bag or lashings.
Then you get a foresail with a custom design for strong winds, flat shape and heavy cloth. It also brings the center of the sailplan down and backwards, which is exactly what you want in heavy conditions. It can also be fitted with a reef, certainly a hard job to take in when it gets that bad, but at that time any furling headsail would be of no use at all.

So in my honest opinion, LIM with a big mainsail means a jib, a code D and a staysail for security.

Best regards,

Eric
Great post, but I am not convinced about the best choice of sails.

Of course it will depend on the boat and on the size of the main but assuming a light boat with an average sized main, perhaps that's the better solution If you have a code 0 and an asymmetric spinnaker.

With a single downwind sail, like a code D you can only use it to go upwind at a little more than 60º. In light winds you would not have the power to sail at decent speeds against the wind.

With a 140 or 150% genoa you have already plenty power and can sail at a decent speed with 5K true wind. Depending on the boat that genoa allows you to maintain full sail till around 16/18K apparent wind and probably you can keep it with a reef on the main and slightly furled (that has not a great influence on sail shape) till 20/22 apparent wind and over that you can put the stay sail, shake the reef on the main and have power again.

A small head sail would not have problem sailing upwind with 9 or 10K true wind at almost hull speed but that's if you don't get 3 m waves or those nasty short smaller med waves that can stop you if you don't have lot's of power and here comes the big genoa again: power

The genoa is also useful for going downwind over 16K. Those big and light sails like the code D are designed to sail with light wind and they cannot take winds over 15/16K. If you go with 16K downwind with a small front sail you don't go fast and a main is a bad sail to go downwind with medium to strong winds: it is difficult to reef on those conditions and unbalances the boat a lot more than a front sail, that is far more simple to roll.

I remember a full night going downwind with 19/24K apparent wind making 9/10K speed with a full genoa, and later a slightly rolled genoa with the main with one and later two reefs, with the boat perfectly balanced. With a small head sail I would not have half the fun neither a decent speed.

That was with the Bavaria 36, with a Salona 38 that would be probably 11 to 14K speed, providing you have a sail that can handle that wind and has enough sail area.

I know, a small asymetric spinaker would be ideal, but that is one more sail

Regards

Paulo

PS. I am not replying soon, catching an airplane to Rome

Last edited by PCP; 12-27-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook