SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising anchor single handed
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
Raising anchor single handed

I single-hand a lot and I am looking for some hints, suggestions on raising the anchor when there is a wind blowing.
Quick background: I have a Centurion 32, a Bruce anchor, 100' of chain and the rest nylon line. I do NOT have a windlass. I am not sure, though, that having a windlass would have helped a lot since the strain on the anchor rode can be pretty large (see below).

Two summers ago I was in Tribune Bay on Hornby Island, anchored near the south west side because it was handy to my brother's house. A NW wind came up. It was low tide and I noticed that the reef that leads out to Norris Rock was not very far aft of me. When I went forward to raise the anchor, I could not budge it. I thought about motoring forward, dashing to the bow, raising the anchor a bit, dashing back to the stern to regain control etc. etc. but decided waiting was the best thing to do. I stayed another night, not unpleasant at all.

Since then I have been more careful about where I anchor, anticipating what might happen if the wind comes up about the time I want to depart.

What do other people do to lift their anchor single-handed or even plan their anchoring in order to deal with this type of problem?
Cheers,
Ross
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook