SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising anchor single handed
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-27-2011 Thread Starter
RossC32

Raising anchor single handed

I single-hand a lot and I am looking for some hints, suggestions on raising the anchor when there is a wind blowing.
Quick background: I have a Centurion 32, a Bruce anchor, 100' of chain and the rest nylon line. I do NOT have a windlass. I am not sure, though, that having a windlass would have helped a lot since the strain on the anchor rode can be pretty large (see below).

Two summers ago I was in Tribune Bay on Hornby Island, anchored near the south west side because it was handy to my brother's house. A NW wind came up. It was low tide and I noticed that the reef that leads out to Norris Rock was not very far aft of me. When I went forward to raise the anchor, I could not budge it. I thought about motoring forward, dashing to the bow, raising the anchor a bit, dashing back to the stern to regain control etc. etc. but decided waiting was the best thing to do. I stayed another night, not unpleasant at all.

Since then I have been more careful about where I anchor, anticipating what might happen if the wind comes up about the time I want to depart.

What do other people do to lift their anchor single-handed or even plan their anchoring in order to deal with this type of problem?
Cheers,
Ross
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome