SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising anchor single handed
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossC32 View Post
Two summers ago I was in Tribune Bay on Hornby Island, anchored near the south west side because it was handy to my brother's house. A NW wind came up......
Lucky for you that wasn't a SE wind that suddenly came up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossC32 View Post
What do other people do to lift their anchor single-handed or even plan their anchoring in order to deal with this type of problem?
Cheers,
Ross
I don't do a lot of singlehanding, but for the most part the anchor retrieval is essentially a solo effort - on a similar sized boat with no windlass. I find that beginning to pull the rode in generally puts a bit of way on the boat as your pull toward the anchor... once the rode is vertical that way is usually sufficient to pop the hook out of the bottom.

Occasionally it's not, and we'll motor ahead on the anchor to break it out.. even solo once you're short-scoped and you go aft to motor towards deeper water to break out the hook then it seems all you need to do is position yourself somewhere that gives you time to go forward and quickly finish the job.

However on a windy day in a crowded anchorage I can certainly see problems with this. One thing you might try is to run your (rope) rode aft to a primary winch and motor ahead gently and use the winch to retrieve the rode from a position near the helm - but then you've got this mess of rode to clear up afterwards. (and if it drops over the side at any point you may have real problems...) The other issue here is that that only deals with the rope section and a small part of the chain.. but it might get you clear enough to slowly motor yourself clear before clearing up the deck...

I would say, short scope (near vertical) by hand, break out as necessary, and then let the boat motor slowly on autopilot while you finish the job, keeping an eye out for obstacles as you go.

Normally I'll retrieve the anchor, let the boat drift while I secure the anchor and close the locker then mosey aft and head on out.. fortunately most of our anchorages here in BC are not usually subject to strong winds.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-27-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook