SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising anchor single handed
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
"I've been raising 100' of 5/8 chain and a 45 pound Danforth by hand "

Whoa! At 3.7 lbs per foot of chain and 45 lbs of anchor you're pulling up over 400 lbs by hand (if you're in 16 fathoms of water), my hat's off to you. How's the back?

I've done what Tempest described on our last boat, using the engine and autopilot to motor slowly forward while pulling like crazy on the bow before the wind overpowers the ability of the autopilot to keep the bow into wind (usually after the anchor is off the bottom). Those are the times when a remote control for a windlass in the cockpit would be pretty nice.
I've never anchored in 16 fathoms of water!! 5 tops. Usaully( 99% of the time) I anchor in 2. I guess my back is strong, I use my legs for most of it, It never feels like I'm pull'n more than 80 pounds. My dream is to buy a manual windless, I can just never get it together. They are so expensive and there is alway's something I need more!! If I anchor in anything more than 3 fathoms, I use my 1/2 line to 30' of 3/8's chain and 40 pound CQR, but the raising method is the same.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 12-28-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook