SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3 Marines seeking passage to South America
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, is there no adventurous opportunities out there anymore for young lads to hop aboard a ship bound for the foreign and exotic, working hard and learning from those in command?
I'm guessing that anyone involved in international shipping has plenty of strong, healthy and hard working crew available from many different non US and non British commonwealth countries.

People get mad at the Mexicans coming in to the US but there are a lot of them who do top quality work at much lower pay than any American would go for.

So I'm guessing ships looking for crew aren't planning on getting anyone on their trips to the US. It's too bad that it seems that someone can't just get on a ship and work their way along. So maybe someone living in a poorer country would have a better chance. But again that's just a guess.

Another thing is that ships have gotten bigger and bigger and need less and less crew. Now there are the standardized shipping containers and not many people are needed for loading. Bigger ships don't use as much fuel per weight of cargo. The days of having heavy fuel oil available at 2 cents per gallon are gone (conveniently as everyone switched away from boilers which could burn coal.) So small ships would have to go very slow to not spend all their money on fuel. Even the big cargo ships have slowed down to like 15-20 knots instead of 20+.

I wish it would again become possible to hop on a ship and work your way somewhere. Paying $100 a day to travel on a cargo ship is outrageous.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook