SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raising anchor single handed
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I've been sailing around with no engine all over the Key's, Bahama's and Western Caribbean for over 20 year's. Living aboard on the Hook and I've been raising 100' of 5/8 chain and a 45 pound Danforth by hand just like this a 1000 times. As soon as it's up, fall off and your under way. (Well, the engine came out in 93, but you know what I mean)
Do you really mean 5/8" chain?! I raise my 45#er by hand all the time with 50' of 3/8" chain. In 60' of water it's really a challenge, in 20' no sweat. As mentioned above, time it right to motor forward slowly, out of gear, drift forward to take out slack. If it does not break free easily, go back and pop it by motoring forward (or back) a bit more. Go up to the bow again and as soon as it's up off the bottom by 10' or so, you can slowly motor in a good direction if you need to before going up to haul it up all the way. You can even get it up to a point where it won't foul anything or chafe against the hull and let the forward motion wash off the mud, stop and haul in. I'll sail off sometimes but not when there are a lot of other boats around. Too many things can go wrong.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-28-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: more
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook