SailNet Community - View Single Post - 9.9 Outboard Experiences
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The 3 yr old Honda 9.9 for my dinghy has been reliable and isn't at all noisy as delite indicated. It weighs a lot compared to a 2-stroke--90+lbs, not including the external gas tank. I do find it takes some finesse to get it started when it's cold, but it has ALWAYS started.

When I bought it (in person at Defender, which carries Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude, 7 Tohatsu--last time I checked) I asked if they had an opinion about which brand was the best. Being diplomatic, they didn't give me a straight answer, but asked if I noticed the brands you find most often in the Caribbean charter business. Having chartered for the past 12+ years, my observation is that Yamaha 2-strokes were the most common, but the market has moved toward 4 strokes, thanks to the EPA. The other consideration is that a lot of commercial operators (pump-out boats, harbormaster boats, etc.) seemed to favor Honda in the northeast. Honda seems to have the most experience with 4-stroke engines of all sorts. The Hondas tend to cost a bit more, but that's the way I went. No regrets so far.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook