SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spirit 23 modifications
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011

windyway is on a distinguished road
Side Stay Chain Plate Mod

The side stays on the deck were constantly angled the wrong way when either raising or lowering the mast. Consequently the "T" bolt kept getting bent. I was afraid that constant bending would eventually break it at the worst time...under load. I also didn't like the turnbuckles that the boat came with. Also the sidestay turnbuckles were too close to each other, so they were always interfering with each other when adjusting. So I decided to cut the old turnbuckle off the cable & put 4 nicer ones in place. Since I didn't want to replace the whole cable (did I mention I'm economical? ) I bought some 1/4 316 stainless chain & used 3 links on each sidestay to lengthen the sidestays to make up for the cable I had to cut off. It also brought the turnbuckles higher up on the rigging so they don't interfere with each other anymore while adjusting, and having chain in place here prevents the rigging from being angled the wrong way when moving the mast up or down, the chain just acts like a chain for 3 links! This is called a "Chain Plate" isn't it??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chain Plate Mod-.jpg (41.7 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by windyway; 11-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook