View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
No chart here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Hey Killarney,

Bear with me as I am learning. I think I see the channel you are referring to. Only the green marker is lit. Why not the red as well.

Also, once you spot your entrance do you line yourself up with the white lit markers (10 miles ahead?), or do you just try to pick your way through the remaining unlit markers? Or both?
I can't check a chart of that area and tell you. On the chart it should say what the range of the various lights is (this is in good conditions but at least you should have some idea when you might see them). If you can see two lights you can take bearings and confirm what the software is saying. Once you know where you are, you can usually find a course to, or near, your destination. Best to err on the side where there is the least problem. (Sorry I don't have chart to give you specifics). In any case, the best advice is to time your arrival for daytime. With a boat of your speed this would suggest an overnighter.