SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3 Marines seeking passage to South America
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Nothing wrong with most of South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacpiche View Post
So, is there no adventurous opportunities out there anymore for young lads to hop aboard a ship bound for the foreign and exotic, working hard and learning from those in command? Are we really faced with only one option: flying? Would it be easier if we left from Florida, Texas, or somewhere on the east coast? And is S America is so troublesome, where else would you suggest from California?

Thanks for the advice gents.
We sailed from Panama to Ecuador last year and went backpacking for a month is Ecuador and Peru. Had a great time and it was cheap and interesting. People were wonderful and helpful. Bus travel there was excellent and inexpensive. The buses in Peru (made in Brazil) are the fanciest I have ever seen.

The problem is getting there by sailboat - not many people go that way. If you want the sailing experience a lot more boats go to the Galapagos and then on to French Polynesia. More of a sailing experience than a cultural one since you are at sea for a long time. Also, as I said the chance of finding a boat needing three crew is pretty small. As for working on a freighter or something similar, I agree that the chances are slim.