SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

ICW anchorages

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wingNwing 
#1 ·
I've looked in both activecaptain and waterway guide and received good information, but if anyone out there has more info about anchorages from Hospital Point to Oriental that might be good in the early May timeframe let me know. The boat carries a 5'10" draft.

#3 ·
Depends on whether you take the Dismal Canal, or the Virginia Cut. Then you have to check the lock schedules.

You can make Coinjock, on the Virginia Cut, in a day from Norfolk. Going the Dismal, I'd take my time, and anchor just before the lock, then you can make Elizabeth City (free dock), in a day. From either, you can anchor at the bottom of the Alligator River. From there, You can go through the canal, past Belhaven, and through the Hobucken Cut and anchor on the Bay River. Then it's Oriental.

#4 ·
Another vote for the Skipper Bob books. Dismal Swamp route MM 44+- behind Goat Island was nice. It may not be deep enough for 5' 10". MM 127 North of # 23 is a decent place to hide. MM 153. I anchored in Campbell creek but I saw several boats anchored out of the ICW near # 10. Less crab pots and quick access back to the ditch. Dan S/V Marian Claire

#5 ·
Totally believe in Skipper Bob's. With 5'10" draft, you may prefer VA cut; Dismal Swamp Canal, although prettier, is only good to about 6'. We stayed at Great Bridge (nearby grocery store, laundry, and excellent Mexi restaurant); then Coinjock or anchor just south of there (approx mile 55??); then anchor at head of Alligator R (approx mile 104); something around mile 140 or so, (sorry, don't have charts handy) then Oriental at mile 180. Pleasant, easy run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.