SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock Downs
Thread: Knock Downs
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011

VK540 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I get it. I've used a chartplotter in recient years to get through places at night I would of in the past had to sail around untill first light. Glad you made it in. I've made simular promises and broke them just as quickly. It's funny how even a shook up warm beer will taste so damn good in a situation like that! Yet another story to intimidate me of the Great Lakes!
Yup I hear you! Had a fun time in the last MacMan race that kinda relates. We got caught at night with a spinnaker up when it got back winded, went out of control, laid us on our side a couple of times in a 35 foot Beneteau and of course the spinnaker halyard wrapped around the forestay at the top of the mast making it impossible to drop. Large waves, no steering control we cut the spinnaker sheet lines and after a 45 minute battle in the pitch black finally got things back to normal. The Captain was soo burnt by the adrenaline rush he imediately crashed for a few hours sleep, with his clothes and life jacket still on in the V-Berth. lots of "hind sight" to what we should do for the next race! I guess I should mention this took place on Lake Huron the week after the two people were killed on the Chicago Mac Race. Yup, I am gaining a lot of respect for the Great Lakes.

Last edited by VK540; 12-29-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Left out location
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook