SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many sail solo
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
I sail solo most of the time as well.

The big difference between having crew and not is that I try to anticipate things far more when I'm alone.

I always have my lines flaked and ready (or draped over the lifelines etc.) when approaching a dock. I have my boat hook extended and within easy reach. I always have my anchor unhitched and the rode flaked before entering an anchorage. When I have crew the anchor is generally prepped as we are in the channel. When alone, I always stop and check to ensure that all lines are running free and look for trip-hazards etc.

We always wear PFD's regardless of conditions, so wearing one when solo is not an issue. What's different is that, when alone I run jacklines and clip on when leaving the cockpit.

When I'm alone I tend to get a much earlier start in the morning. I usually don't have an itinerary so I might stay at an anchorage for a couple of days or a couple of hours, depending on my mood and conditions.

As much as I love having a crew on board, I think I secretly prefer to be alone on the boat. Maybe not so secretly.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook