SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second Shakedown Cruise - Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Cool Second Shakedown Cruise - Some Questions

My girlfriend and I took my Montgomery 17 out for the second time since I have owned her yesterday. We had a great sail for about 4 hours with winds up to 15 knots gusting a little more, the lake was very flat which was great for her first sail onboard my Montgomery.

I tried some things for the first time on her like reefing and heaving to.

1. Heaving-to went over very well and the boat stayed hove to with the full just and full main up. It was my first time ever heaving to really, I did it probably 3 times to take breaks and have a snack and also to practice reefing.

2. Reefing went pretty good overall but there are a few things missing from my system. First off, there is no topping lift the boom went to the deck when I first rediced sail while hove to. Fortunaly, the boat came with a new boom kicker when I bought it that hadn't been installed yet. Isn't the boom kicker suposed to eliminate my boom dropping to deck?

I just noticed while looking on the boom kicker site a small aluminum bracket under the boom that it goes into. I saw this same bracket on the boom of my 17 and now I know what it is for, maybe it is ready to go? Does it require any special drilling or bracket on the mast?

Also, there wasn't really any place that I could find where the boom attaches to the mast. To hold the tack of the sail down I just took a short line and tide it under the boom. I don't thing this is the correct way to do this though. There are some fairlead V-cleats at the base of the mast that I do not know thier purpose, could this be it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook