SailNet Community - View Single Post - santana 30 or j30?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
I LOVE these posts debating boats and putting down boats from people who have NEVER been on one...My Lexus IS350 was faster in a straight line than my 911 Carrera 4....it doesnt mean that it was more fun to drive...quite the contrary. So if you are interested in a boat...GET ON ONE! Also dont buy a boat thats great for wind in the Chesapeake when you are sailing in the Pacific Southwest. Also ask WHERE YOU ARE what a good boat would be...talk to the locals. This also helps when getting parts, people to work on the boat, and things of that nature. If you buy something no one knows about then getting help with an older boat may be harder. The San Francisco Bay has very different conditions than the conditions outside Newport Harbor. Since you mentioned blue water cruising, I take it you are near the coast. The S30, is a sturdy and dream of a boat to sail in the Ocean in the conditions I have been in. In rough conditions, its been solid and took more of a beating than I wanted to at the time...lol...In calm conditions, its smooth as butter...I dont plan to be in conditions that sunk a fleet of racing boats....so thats not THAT important to me. Also I would bet that those boats that made it, had some luck and skill of the crew to thank, maybe not really the boat itself....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.