SailNet Community - View Single Post - How many sail solo
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
The Wingnuts tragedy got me thinking about the kind of injuries that can occur on a sailboat. I wonder if the two people that died had been wearing say a bike helmet, would they maybe have survived? People often mention the destruction below decks in a knockdown, and being tossed like a rag doll. Would a bike helmet when single handing be much of an inconvenience, and maybe save your life? You're wearing a PFD and clipped on, then the boom slams you in the top of the head, does any of the rest matter?

Part of the reason I've been thinking about this is that we moved my dad into an assisted living facility. His friend was there, but was moved to a nursing facility after his second fall and a head injury. It really is tough to protect the elderly from falls. One fall changes EVERYTHING! Dad broke his hip about four years ago, and I spent a couple of long nights lying on top of him as he hallucinated from the pain killers. It is hard to get them to always use a cane or walker, a helmet would be nearly impossible.

Maybe we need a sailing helmet. A tilley hat with a hard shell and soft brim?

Gary H. Lucas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook