SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
I hope writing a kind of log on my progress is ok? I hope so... no one has said anything yet. Anyway I am making use of lowes for round and flat steel stock. I purchased a new tiller with an 8" rise, believe it is 42" laminated ash and mahogany similar to what the original tiller was like. The old tiller was cracked badly weathered and so I decided on a new tiller - $88 from Defender.com, about $140 from other sites, but the butt end is 3/8" narrower than it should be so I have made two 3/16" spacers using flat stock, simple hack saw, then used the holes I drilled in the tiller as a guide to start the holes in the steel 1/4". I purchased 3" stainless hex headed bolts, a washer on the outside each side and a wingnut so that I can stow the tiller out of the weather, and place a piece of treated lumber to secure the rudder in dock. I am currently shaping the centerboard tip of wench handle for the centerboard wench - a 3/8" hex head using a flat bastard file, my eye and a wratchet head as a guide - It's going very well so far - just a lot of filing, i have the wench handle in a vice to hold it steady. I have the #2 pully for the centerboard cable cleaned up, #3 turns freely and is not exposed to any water in the bilge which I keep as dry as possible now. Like Charles Morgan I wonder why people fail to maintain their investment - occasional grease on the pullys, the wench, and the cable. keeping track of the wench handle. I am doing all of this but I still do not know what I will find once the boat is pulled. I have a new handle for the inletvalve for the head to reinstall. Also have a 3/8"x4" carrage bolt will have to install another chunk of an oak garden tool handle after shaping for the wench handle on the mast which currently is just a piece of flat stock held in the pully by a pin - I will figure a way that will allow me to remove the handle when I desire. My goal was to have the internal centerboard system up and running, I have accomplished that, or will after my next visit to Felicity. Hopefully the shipyard will be ready to go once the new year passes???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook