SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should I buy or Build my own
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012

AlaskaBySail is on a distinguished road
Should I buy or Build my own

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I have had a distant desire to learn to sail and purchase a sailboat, I have looked at so many probable thousands on the internet from so many places. I started in the beginning to look at these 28 footers for being smaller and easier to keep up and less expenses. But I weigh 279 lbs and not a little guy. I don't understand why any sailboat you see has the smallest shower and smallest kitchen., I love to cook with a passion. I have drawn 3 different sets of plans for my desire of layout with a rather large kitchen and large shower. I haven't found a sailboat yet that has both unless you really get into some big money. I would love to travel the coast from fla to maine to Canada to Ireland and then to Europe and down thru the Danube. I have done alot of research but almost have my doubts about what is the true size of sailboat to have. the best I have come across is Bruce Roberts 45footer by 14.5 or 15.5 wide. I thought in the beginning that a mucltichine would be best. I have read so much now that I begin to get confused on really what to do. It seems so many people have their own thinking on what is best. I'm 52 right now and wonder should I even try to build one and not just buy one and settle for what I can find. I just don't want to do that. I have always been a person of trying to save a dollar and think as long as I lknow what I'm doing and have the right knowledge I can do better. I just want to be safe and enjoy life somewhat. I"m going to sell my house and motorhome and figure out what to do here. I love Europe but wonder I have had so many people tell me you have to be so careful ot the thieves and pirates. Cant you tote a weapon on board a sailboat. I don't see why not. You have to have some kind of protection. The biggest thing that confuses me about building a sailboat is all the curves and not straight lines. I have built a house, sheds, garages etc. But the angle of Sailboats I have never tried to do and don't like the idea of wasting money and would love to find the right person that can tell me or show me how can so many people say it is so easy to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My sailboat would consist of just 2 of us unless I can convince my daughter and grandson to venture off with us sometimes. I also don't care about all the sailboats having such a large living couch area so to speak. But again I have my own plan layed out and concerned with the weight balances as well as where certain things should be layed out for safety and ease of this and that. Your help is greatly appreciated in this matter. I live in Winter Haven, Fla anyone that lives close enough to see where I can see what you are building just for some knowledge would be fantastic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook