SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB Receiver recommendation
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 01-01-2012
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Originally Posted by VetMike View Post
I have an Icom 7000 transceiver HF thru 70cm bands. I really like it but it does not receive on all bands. Moreover, radio shops aren't really supposed to sell you a transceiver unless you are in the FCC database as having a license. If you want an all band receiver, Grundig, although expensive, makes the best. But why not just get your ticket? No code and not a lot to learn to get the Technician ticket.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The IC-7000 has a wideband receive capability and and excellent DSP receiver, viz...

"The receiver covers 30 kHz to 200 MHz and 400 to 470 MHz. Modes include SSB, CW, AM, FM and RTTY. The receiver has WFM for listening to FM broadcast stations and TV audio."

The radio is intended for ham-band operation only. As with most radios, it is possible to modify it ("open it") so that it will transmit outside the ham bands, but to transmit outside the ham bands is illegal .... except in an extreme emergency. You can listen anywhere, marine SSB channels, aircraft channels, land-mobile, law enforcement, emergency, international broadcast, etc., etc. and the IC-7000 would be an excellent piece of equipment to use for general listening. So, too, would most modern ham rigs which have wide-band receive capability.

If you have any interest at all in someday getting your ham license, then it makes much more sense to buy a decent ham transceiver with wideband receive capability than to spend just about as much money on a quality communications receiver only. There are cheap SSB-capable receivers around $100 which are minimally OK, but they can't match the receivers in most ham transceivers.

Anyone can own a transceiver, licensed or not. However, to transmit you do need a license. The IC-7000 is a ham transceiver and, if you have the appropriate ham license, you can transmit on the ham bands (ONLY). The General Class license is the minimum to really be of use on a boat, since it permits SSB operation on many ham bands. As VetMike said, it's easy to get your ham license these days with a bit of study online, with license guides, or with local amateur radio clubs.


Last edited by btrayfors; 01-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.
btrayfors is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome