SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

instrument condensation

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
i have a older depthfinder that is unreadable most of the time because of mosture inside the readout lens,i suspected that maybe there was a leakage and rain was somehow getting inside but i instalded another unit a couple of days ago for a backup[a low priced humminbird]the next morning it also had some condensation in it also,i suppose that warmer cabin/cold outside is the cause,is there any practical way to prevent this?other than filling with compass liquid,yeah i know not practical!does anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
If you can open the unit up you may find space for those little desiccant packs (used in packing and shipping certain items - looks like a large packet of salt)

They would need replenishing periodically but they might help. The internal warmth of the devices when powered up may well make the condensation worse, esp this time of year.

#6 ·
Had the same problem on two of my ST50 instruments last year. Raymarine tech support recommended turning up the brightness on the instruments, saying it might burn off the condensation (it didn't).

The depth died about two months later and the wind speed was starting to go. I ended up upgrading over the winter. YMMV.

#8 ·
sawingknots,

Is the Hummingbird depth finder you purchased an old flasher, or is it a new LCD readout? I've been using their products for many, many years and never had one fog. There is NO decadent package inside, and there is no compartment for one to be placed.

If it is a new unit, I would contact Hummingbird's customer service immediately and have the unit replaced. The newest depth LCD depth finders are all submersible to one atmosphere (33-feet of saltwater) and completely sealed. The same holds true with Lowrance depth finders and combination units such as their GPS-Plotter/Depth Finders.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.