SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel versus propane
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012

catandahalf is on a distinguished road
diesel stove/heater...

This looks like a dead discussion but I'm sure that someone other than me is cold....
I bought my boat with propane installed (she is a 1967 nicole trimaran - cedar strips over a light frame and (now) covered in west marine epoxy and glass... I have had boats with alcohol, wood (pellet) and propane heaters before Ceil... all of them have issues but the common theme is 'wet'. All these fuels dump water into your cabin. No way around it, it's part of what they are and do. When I bought Ceil I decided to try a diesel stove and bought a wallas diesel. I decided to try it because it functions both as a cook-top AND as a forced air heater... the forced air part is important because it means that the hot air is blown into the cabin, not just over the heater. In addition, the diesel is completely isolated from the cabin air - the stove vents all combustion out an insulated through-hull (above the waterline) so you don't EVER get a diesel smell. It works really well and when I did need service they (Scanmarine) were very helpful. The cook-top works great (though I do use a small propane if I am just boiling coffee water as it heats up faster) for most cooking purposes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook