SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bulkhead Mod and Compression Post
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
We have a relatively new-to-us 1969 Santana 22. The early model Santana 22's have a habit of needing additional mast support and this boat has a large metal post installed in opening of the bulkhead. While not looking to go out for a week or so we'd like to have some access to the v-berth (and the port-a-pottie in an emergency). With the added metal compression post we can barely squeeze in the v-berth to stow the sails. I've attached a pic where it looks like the bulkhead was modified (which is now the standard design) as well as a pic of our bulkhead and compression post. With the post in place, can I cut back the bulkhead to provide access to the v-berth without worrying about the deck or anything else being supported sufficiently? Thanks Brent

Modified...
S22ModifiedBulkhead

Our bulkhead...
S22wCompPost
If that compression post is needed on a 22' boat that has full height main bulkheads that close together, you have something else going on.

That thing looks like such overkill for a boat that size that I'd be suspicious the previous owner was paranoid and/or had read things about big boats needing compression posts. I wouldn't cut away any of the bulkheads - find another solution (if one is even necessary).

The first thing I'd do is take the tension off it, pull it out and see what happened. If the deck sags, you probably have wet core. If nothing obvious happens, check the rigging to see that tension has been maintained. If the rig is still tight, go for a sail on a light day and see if there is any flexing or oil-canning of the deck. Continue searching things out in this way.

If nothing seems to happen, I'd just leave it out. A 22' boat doesn't exert huge forces on the rig so a post like that should never be necessary. Most of the 22' boats I've been on didn't even have bulkheads like yours - many don't have ANY main bulkhead, just some cabinetry bonded in to stiffen the hull.

Also, you could PM W.D. SCHOCK - he built them and is a member here - see what he has to say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook