SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 24
Thread: Morgan 24
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
Hi, I remember my Morgan 25 had beautiful wood flooring that needed to come out but I never did it because I did not think I could replicate it. My M24 has a fiberglass floor, but the wood under it is pretty much gone, what there was of it but I am not at all certain what was down there. I am assuming that most of it was just around the bilge access because the flooring there is not as rigid as it should be. There is not much clearence so I am assuming that placing some treated and painted lumber in that area may suffice to stiffen up the floor. I do have some basic equipment in my home shop, drills, sanders, skill and table saw, jig saw, router table, hammers etc.... and used to build cabinets prior to my 20 years as an Air Force RN and Diabetic Educator so I feel fairly confident that with my noggen for tinkering I can do alot on my own. I am sorry that I have no pictures but will share them when I get there. My main focus is safety and seaworthiness right now. I really want to have the centerboard system operating as Morgan designed it. Lights, New halyards, New Jib. I believe the Starbord chainplate for the shrouds needs to be assessed. Another sheet of 3/4" plywood was bolted in at some point, and the bolts there do not inspire confidence. I may have to use halyards to support the mast when I replace that entire bulkhead - um! not a job I am looking forward to - because it is so important that it be done right as that chainplate must take quite a load in heavy air on a starboard tack. There are others here who will be happy to answer questions too. Merlin has been here a long time take a look at his M24, and then also Bob Horan has a Morgan 24 site that has quite a bit of information and Mr Horan is very friendly, has answered emails and questions, you can google his site: Try Morgan 24 site.... George
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook