SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast Wire Race Access
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I also have a Hood mast of similar size (a bit smaller I guess). Interesting that my mast wires come out just a few inches above the end of the mast under the cabin sole level. This keeps them out of the way at least, if not easily accessible. I wonder if it was a choice by the boat manufacturer to do it one way or another?

As for your question, I would imagine it depends on how large a hole you are thinking about. All my wires come out of one hole that it about 1.5" in diameter. Gives no accessibility to the inside of the mast at all. I am taking my mast down in a couple of months to replace all of the wiring and to add extra attachments to the conduit since a couple of the pop rivets have come loose. I will have to consider the hole question, but I don't imagine I will change it. BTW, the Hood masts are great, heavily-built pieces of kit - I imagine could take a lot of abuse with hole drilling.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook